Sunday, May 29, 2016

Wrong way home

I'm cold. I'm hungry. And it looks like I'm on the wrong bus.

I stared at the GPS spot on my phone. Instead of the route that would get me back to campus, Bus 737 is going in a completely different route. It's okay, I tell myself. It's probably a little detour the bus is taking.

It was when I noticed that we were passing by a forest that I really started to panic. Random thoughts started popping into my head. I scoured my brain for any recent crimes I've heard that took place in a forest. Or any kidnapping that started because someone took the wrong bus. That did not help my situation at all.

I contemplated whether to ask the bus driver for assistance or just get off at the next stop. I chose the latter when the bus stopped at a bus loop of a shopping mall.

This is the story of how I ended up on the other side of town, in a place called Westfield- somewhere I didn't even knew existed before this event. Usually, discovering new places is a fun thing to do, but not when it's getting dark and certainly not when my only means of transportation to get me home is the public transport.

Lost at Westfield
Before the bus that took me here left, I checked and saw that yes, it was Bus 737, but it wasn't en-route to my campus. I've learnt my lesson-- ALWAYS check the bus number and the name of the route. Same number same route.

It was around 6 p.m. when I got off the bus. Most of the shops were already closed then. So, I had to wait for half an hour at the bus loop for the right bus to take me home. A half hour time-out for me to think about what I did, how it could all be prevented had I been more careful.

This incident happened to me a month ago. And today is actually the first time I've headed into the city since the incident. The main reason for not going to the city is to save up some money for other forms of entertainment during the holidays; but I suppose the fear of this happening again plays a teeny tiny role in it as well. But hey, the important thing is that I made it home safe and sound.





No comments:

Post a Comment